Ah, high school- the four years that everyone wishes away. High school has its ups and downs, and here are some ways to survive the roller coaster.
- Practice good hygiene. There is nothing worse than walking behind someone who smells like B.O. or talking to someone with bad breath. Please take showers regularly, wear deodorant, and brush your teeth everyday. Your body and classmates will thank you!
- Do your work. Everyone always tells you to do your work on time, and that’s because it is so important! Homework, in my case, is a large part of class grades. Trust me, we all know having homework on a Friday night sucks, but just make sure it’s done before Monday.
- Participate! School spirit is NOT lame. Pep rallies have the potential to be really fun if you participate in them! Many people think that school spirit is uncool, but it’s super cool. Not many people get to dress up for Spirit Week after high school, so soak it up while you can!
- Be yourself. However cliché it may be, it’s crucial to be yourself in high school. Don’t worry about what other people think of you! As long as you’re happy with whatever you’re doing/wearing/being, no one else should matter. Don’t be afraid to be unique.
- Try to stay positive. Things will happen in your life that suck. A lot of those things will happen in high school, but that doesn’t make high school bad. Try to look on the bright side of things! Being upset isn’t bad, but don’t let most things ruin your day. Holding onto the negative and worrying about it won’t help you move forward!
- Be confident. This goes hand-in-hand with “be yourself.” Being confident gives you a whole new attitude, and it’ll make your day a million times better. If you see a new hairstyle that you want to try out, go for it and rock it! Know that you look good, and remember that no one else can change that. Other people’s opinions don’t matter as much when you’re feelin’ yourself.
- Move on. Unfortunately, most people experience many friend breakups and breakup breakups. It’s okay to be sad about it because we’ve all been there, and it totally freaking sucks. Try not to let it bring you down for too long, though. Everything happens for a reason! If that person is meant to be in your life, they’ll be there. There are plenty of people to meet after high school, too, so try to keep in mind that it’s not the end of the world.
High school can be fun if you realize that those four years are not your entire life. Sure, a lot of the things you decide in high school can and will influence your future, but don’t be scared about that. Everyone has to go through these years, so we all know how hard it can be. Make the best out of high school, though, because after it’s over, you’re an adult with real responsibilities. As Hannah Montana once said, “life’s what you make it, so let’s make it rock!” High school is a part of life, so make it fun for your own good.